We're excited to announce that CUE is launching a new space--the Margin of Eras Gallery! In 2018 we will be producing a series of events called Habitat, and you might be the perfect artist to be featured as part of this residency and performance opportunity.
Rather than just showcasing your music by performing on a stage, Habitat will take a closer look at you as a creative artist. The goal is to exhibit how you see, feel, and are inspired by the world, and how that translates into your work--your creative planet. 4 artists will be selected.
Each artist involved will curate the entire space of the gallery and offer audiences a 1 hour experience in their "Habitat". Your habitat will consist of 4 elements over which you have free reign to create and plan as you see fit. These are:
- Listening Station: We will provide multiple sets of headphones that will allow attendees to listen to a collection of your music, current and/or older, put together by you.
- Visuals: We will provide a screen and a projector. You will decide what to put on it. You could splice together media clips, project geometric shapes, color palettes, childhood home videos, literally anything that makes sense for your vision. There will also be the chance to display other pieces of art/objects--either art created by you, or art that means something to you.
- Playlist/DJ: We will provide a DJ. You will curate a playlist of music reflective of your Habitat, to be played in the space during your hour.
- Performance: You will come up with a unique way to perform your music in a way you've never done before. The idea is to step outside the traditional realm of the "stage show" and invite people to experience your music in a deeper, more original way. For example, a walk-through a-capella performance, something theatrical that involves props or choreography, something interactive, etc. It's up to you to dream this up.
Now, we don't expect you to have everything fully envisioned just yet. The second piece of the Habitat initiative involves working with local musician and multidisciplinary artist Matthew Progress, over 1-2 month period in order to craft and create all 4 of these elements.
You will receive mentorship, feedback, and guidance while you build your Habitat. When it's all said an done you will walk away with multiple pieces of content produced by you, which can be used for anything you like in the future.
Artists will receive performance fees.
How can you be selected?
If you are a past CUE grant recipient, email MOEGMusic@gmail.com with:
1. Some samples of your music
2. Some brief points about how you would approach each of the 4 elements of your Habitat. Tell us how you imagine it looking and feeling, and how that's reflective of who you are as a creative artist. How would you create an original performance?
If you have any questions please email MOEGMusic@gmail.com.
DEADLINE TO APPLY IS: NOVEMBER 15th, 2017
PLEASE NOTE THAT ONLY MUSICIANS WHO HAVE RECEIVED A CUE GRANT IN THE PAST ARE ELIGIBLE FOR THIS OPPORTUNITY